Saturday, July 25, 2009

Black Hammock

I've had some fun with my weekend adventures taking my Versa and GPS on the road into the unknown. That's why I've saved the most classic Floridian experience for last before Celeste, Jeff and the girls arrive next week after which my internship will feel like it's practically done!

So as I've been speaking with the executives in my company, many of them have suggested I go to Black Hammock, a converted Harley Bar on Lake Jessop that has the most gators per square meter or something like that. However, just my luck I didn't see a one in its natural habitat. But here are some fun pics of my day!














Here is the store front of this very shabby attraction. But I think the camp factor really added to the authenticity of a dude named Earl boating you around a swamp!















We coasted along the banks to catch sight of some gators, but alas, no sightings.



















I took this pic with the wind blowing in my face. I'm glad I got our tour guide in the pic as well! The air boat ride was really loud, hence the air traffic control ear muffs, but the ride itself was surprisingly cool and relaxing.



Here is some video of the air boat ride. I was surprised to see we went right into the weeds as well as doing some spins in the lake. I was talking with one of my fellow riders who asked about MIT. We got to talking about Lockheed and it turns out she was ex-CIA. cool.














The price of the ride also included a pic with the resident gator. So here I am trying to control the critter as it tried to squirm. yuck! However, it felt quite cool on this hot day, something you might want to put over your eyes early in the morning to reduce puffiness. But after this, I woud rather have my gators in purse form- perhaps a sophisticated clutch. And no, I did not have the stomach to eat gater nuggets in the attached restaurant. I think it had more to do with hygiene than ethics :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim, the circles in which you travel! Moms

Anonymous said...

GREAT BOAT RIDE!!
..OWT!