Friday, March 25, 2005

I find it ironic that a woman who became brain dead through complications associated with sever bulemia nervosa is starving to death in hospice care. And I say this with consideration to the extreme gravity of the situation.

Instead of crying sexism on the grounds of male judges and husbands as FOX news favors, why are people not taking this as an opportunity to point out the cruelty that Terri had to go through during adolescence as an overweight girl with glasses? Is America resiliant enough to celebrate individual difference from this media wreckage? or will Jeb be the third of the Bush dynasty?

Yes, this whole media circus is outrageous. I think the surprisingly high disapproval ratings over this congressional interferce just shows that many Americans have been deeply touched by similar painful events in their lives that are playing out on the screen. Americans may jingoistically approve of war though never having experienced it or to reduce the cognitive dissonance they feel regarding loved ones serving overseas.

But I take these low approval ratings as unequivocal proof of the power of human suffering that average Americans face throughout their lives. Also interepretted as "just don't go there." America is not ready to face death. It's too close to us. For once it seems that 70% of Americans actually have something in common.

But we will watch, our stomachs turned. Oh how we will watch...

No comments: